Thursday, October 20, 2011

The best laid plans are those that you can change

The way I see it, you get two types of people in life; the ones who like to plan, and the ones who don't. Often it seems that the ones who like to plan and the ones who don't have any desire to struggle to function within the same space. Our little family of three are definitely down to the wire last minute decision makers. We don't like to plan, and doing so often causes us more drama than just kicking back and deciding on the day.

But with this new travelling lark we've come to accept that at times it makes more sense to plan a bit, here and there. We booked flights to Singapore for next year while they were on sale, meaning that we can afford to sit in the slightly comfier (premium economy) seats. And we booked our ferry to Spain for this coming Friday a few weeks ago, so that we could have a comfy and spacious cabin rather than spending 25 hours in a reclining seat with a grumpy toddler climbing all over us.

My beloved Gran is still very sick. Every day we are told that the next 24 hours are critical, and we wait with baited breath and hang onto every tiniest glimmer of hope. When it comes down to it, as excited as I am about our new travelling life, right now I can't imagine anything worse than hopping on a ferry and going away from here. I want to be in the UK, more so than I have wanted in years and years, I want to be here for whatever the next few days/weeks may bring, to support my parents, to encourage my gran, to do whatever needs to be done.

So I called up Brittany Ferries and pushed our booking back. And I have to say I was super impressed with how fantastically easy and low cost it was, so hurrah to Brittany Ferries. And of course, being the wonderful person that he is, Mr Traveller is taking it all in his stride too, and we are taking our travel plans one day at a time. So watch this space...

I'd love to hear from anyone else following a travelling lifestyle who has changed their plans at the last minute. How did it work out? Did you blog about it? If you did, please share a link to your post in the comments below.




No comments:

Post a Comment